The global health crisis has hit football hard, with no action for a month now.

The season has been suspended until further notice, with no end in sight as the pandemic continues. Football has many hurdles to overcome, with fixtures to be fulfilled and titles, promotions and relegations to be decided.

If the season is to completed any time soon, it will surely have be behind closed doors, but this situation could drag on for some time yet – and that has resulted in decisions being made about staff.

Liverpool announced plans to furlough some of their non-playing staff, meaning the government would cover 80% of their wages whilst on leave, with Liverpool topping up the remaining 20%. The Reds have since reversed that decision following a strong backlash.

(Photo by Mick Walker – CameraSport via Getty Images)

Tottenham Hotspur have yet to announce a U-turn on their similar furlough approach, and there are calls for players to take pay cuts in order to help clubs and staff during these difficult times.

There has been little said about Preston’s stance as of yet, but Sky Sports now claim that North End have furloughed a ‘very small number of staff’ whose jobs weren’t able to be done at home.

Others who can work from home are being paid in full by North End, whilst there is no indication on whether the remaining 20% of the furloughed staff’s wages will be paid by Preston or not.

This is yet to be confirmed or announced by North End, but news may come soon with Sky claims now out in the public domain. Preston seem to have tried their best to protect their staff, paying many in full rather than seeking government help, and the only ones being furloughed are those who can’t take their day-to-day jobs home.

Related Topics