Preston were linked with Sol Bamba in a bizarre rumour last week, and the defender is weighing up his options.
North End need to add another central defender this summer.
It’s great to see that Bambo Diaby is staying at the club haven’t signed a new deal at the end of the season.
However, Sepp van den Berg’s loan spell is over and Paul Huntington’s time at the club has come to an end.
Jordan Storey will return from his loan at Sheffield Wednesday but his future still seems a little up in the air under Ryan Lowe.
A right-sided centre back is a must for North End, so you could forgive Preston fans for being a little confused by links to Sol Bamba.
Preston were linked with Sol Bamba
A shock report from Wales Online last weekend suggested that Preston had held talks over a deal to sign Bamba.
Charlton Athletic are also understood to be keen on Bamba, who is a free agent having been released by Middlesbrough this summer.
Bamba is an experienced Championship defender and his free agent status may well appeal to somebody.
Bamba is now 37 though and would almost certainly be viewed as a central defender in a three rather than on the right as Preston need.
The Ivorian is a fine leader and a great character to have around but it would be a surprise if Preston committed wages to a player who will turn 38 come January.
Bamba has now spoke about his future, telling Sky Sports that he does have options on the table from a number of clubs amid those links to Preston.
The defender did though note that he hasn’t even really decided whether he wants to carry on playing or call it a day.
That should really be indication enough that Preston shouldn’t really be in the market for Bamba, with the defender possibly looking towards becoming a coach.
“A few options here and there,” said Bamba. “I’m just thinking about it at the minute. I want to get back in because obviously pre-season starts for clubs, the fixtures have been released. I’m not sure if I’m going to carry on or not. If I do, I need to go back in as soon as possible, so in the next couple of weeks, I will make a decision on whether I’m back playing or whether I start as a coach at a club hopefully,” he added.